“The Mission of First Baptist Church of Anchorage is to exalt Jesus Christ through worship, fellowship, evangelism, discipleship, ministry, and missions.”
First Baptist Church, the first Southern Baptist Church to be constituted in Alaska, was founded in 1943 by a small group of Soldiers stationed at nearby Fort Richardson and was first located in a small building at 426 West 6th Ave. The first pastor was Chaplain Aubrey Halsell who remained until his transfer to another post. He was followed by pastor William Petty who served until May of 1944.
Felton Griffin, the third pastor, served the church for the next twenty-nine years. During these years the church outgrew its first building and built a new one next door, with a capacity for 225, in 1947.
The church outgrew the new facility and almost immediately began construction of additional space for a total capacity of 425. In 1953 this facility burned, and was replaced by a new facility which would accommodate 600 people. This building survived the 1964 earthquake, but was purchased by a downtown business in 1965. The church built a new facility for approximately 1000 people at the current location at 10th Avenue and L Street.